Home Learning Principles
We follow a set of key principles when setting home learning at Katherine Warington, to ensure any task set is meaningful and has a positive impact on learning.
- Home learning tasks are only set if they truly enhance learning.
- Feedback is essential for any home learning task, and this is always our first consideration when setting a task.
- Tasks set are short and focused (students should aim to spend between 20 and 30min on any task set at KS3).
- Many home learning tasks set are focused on the recall of prior learning and expanding our students’ vocabulary (often referencing knowledge organisers). Others will focus on preparation tasks (often referred to as flipped learning) or extending writing.
- Core subjects and languages will set one or two home learning task per week, other subjects will set between 1 and 3 tasks a half term as appropriate.
- We aim to avoid setting home learning tasks for completion the following day, students will generally be given a week to complete tasks, with the exception of languages where they may be given 48 to 72 hours to learn vocabulary between lessons.
- All home learning tasks set are outlined on Show My Homework, accessible online by both students and their parents.