Our intent in Business is to develop our students’ interest and confidence in exploring how different business situations affect decision-making. Students will develop their understanding of business concepts and terminology, and the impact of contemporary issues on business operations.
Business is a dynamic commercial landscape. We offer our students the opportunity to acquire knowledge of the real world and analyse and evaluate the impact of business decisions on an individual, company and global level.
Students will gain an in-depth understanding of how and why businesses operate through the internal functions of Finance, Marketing, HR and Operations and how they adapt to and interact with the external influences of the economy. environment and ethics.
Year 9 Business will give students a foundation in business concepts and develop their exam, research, presentation and analytical skills.
Throughout the year we will give students the opportunity to link lessons with the broader world and current events.
Autumn Term 1
- Introduction to Business
- Students will be introduced to the critical terms of Business and start to understand the various concepts.
- Assessment Practice
- Multiple choice questions
Autumn Term 2
- Ice cream challenge
- Students will develop their understanding of marketing. They will be given the opportunity to work in groups and develop a marketing mix for a brand-new ice cream.
Spring Term 1
- Build a Small Business
- By researching small local businesses, students will learn how to set up a business and raise and manage their finances, they will create their own business plan and develop key chains of reasoning.
- Assessment through presentation
- Small Business Report
Spring Term 2
- Large Business Ownership
- Students investigate how public limited companies and large franchise organisations are able to raise finance and grow in size. They will then add to their Business Plans and identify how they plan and if they plan to expand their small business.
- Franchise research and presentation
- Business Activity
- Students will formally begin the Edexcel GCSE course starting with Unit 1: Enterprise and Entrepreneurship.
- End of Year 9 Exam: Multichoice questions and case study data response